You’ve set your budget and where you want to move. The next step is to find a house that’s just right for you. It’s easier said than done, however, thanks to the wide selection of homes for sale that you’ll encounter. To help you narrow down your options, here are a few things to think about as you look for a house to buy.
How does the neighborhood feel?
Consider the neighborhood and how you’ll fit in with the community in the years to come. Can you imagine yourself happy living there for the next five, ten years?
- How close is the property to central hubs, your workplace, schools, and other amenities?
- Come at different times to see how loud or quiet the neighborhood can be. If you’re working from home or on the night shift, you may want a calmer atmosphere so you can focus or rest as needed.
- Ask your real estate agent about local community events where you can meet and get to know your neighbors.
- If you have a pet, keep an eye out for nearby pet-friendly parks and see how they’re faring. You might even learn more about the area with a quick chat and pet playdate.
Is the house in good shape?
Determine the house’s current state as well as the property’s history. These details help inform your plans, including renovations and remodeling, as well as the property’s resale value should you decide to sell it in the future.
- Right off the bat, see how easily and affordably you can personalize the new house as soon as you move in. While many homes will be staged as part of the selling process, find out how much of it is ready to upgrade and customize.
- Inquire about the safety protocols of the area in case of any natural hazards and disasters that may occur. Your real estate agent can tell you more about this.
- Before making any final decisions, get in touch with a property inspector to make sure the home is safe and habitable.
Is it your ideal home?
How well does the property stack against your ideal home? Is it able to support your long-term goals?
- It’s easy to get distracted with the fun stuff but prioritizes your needs. List down your must-haves, from storage to garage space, and keep these in mind when you’re looking for the perfect home to buy.
- Consider the outdoor space as well. What are the outdoor activities you can enjoy in that area? Will you be able to maintain this space regularly?
Recommendations for first-time home buyers
Looking forward to your next big investment in Washington DC? Partner with real estate professionals at Heller Coley Reed to help find your perfect home.
Exciting as it is to get first-hand experience, nothing compares to the peace of mind you’ll have working with experts who can give you their time, market insights, and more. Get in touch with Heller Coley Reed at 240.800.5155, email HellerColeyReed(at)gmail(dotted)com, or contact us here to start your real estate journey.